[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #94983] History for help from plotting taylor's diagram

Tatiana Burek via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Tue Apr 21 11:57:17 MDT 2020

I have trouble using metviewer to create taylors diagram.  This is the very
first time I tried it.  So I need some guidance or example xml script to
follow.

My failed attempt is 20200421_144229

Thank you for your help.

Ho-Chun Huang

IMSG at NOAA/NWS/NCEP/EMC

5830 University Research Ct., Rm. 2792

College Park, MD 20740

Ho-Chun.Huang at noaa.gov <Joe.Smith at noaa.gov>

301-683-3958

Subject: help from plotting taylor's diagram
From: Tatiana Burek
Time: Tue Apr 21 10:04:12 2020

Hi Ho-Chun,

Your plot configuration was missing a few required parameters:
- Formatting -> plot formatting ->Image Type (png)
- X1 -> X1 values formatting -> Text size (1)
- X1 -> X1 values formatting -> Frequency (0)

I fixed these parameters and rerun your plot.
# 20200421_152531

Tatiana

From: Ho-Chun Huang - NOAA Affiliate
Time: Tue Apr 21 10:34:30 2020

Hi, Tatiana:

Thanks for fixing my problem.  Is there any reason these "needed"
information do not have a default value?

Am I correct that the ylab should be "normalized standard deviation"?
and
xlab should be RMSE?

The perfect score should be 1.0 along the x axis, correct?

Does it only have a limited function for Taylor's diagram?  I try to
plot
the title, xlab, ylab, legend, but none is working?

20200421_163250

Ho-Chun Huang

IMSG at NOAA/NWS/NCEP/EMC

5830 University Research Ct., Rm. 2792

College Park, MD 20740

Ho-Chun.Huang at noaa.gov <Joe.Smith at noaa.gov>

301-683-3958

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 12:04 PM Tatiana Burek via RT

From: Tatiana Burek
Time: Tue Apr 21 10:53:15 2020

Ho-Chun,

Usually these fields are filled with the defaults in the UI page and
I'm not sure why they were empty in your case. Did you change them by
hand?

The title, xlab, ylab, legend can be added and customized. Some of
your parameters like legend text size and positions were not correct
and I fixed them. Please, take a look:
20200421_164806

Tatiana

From: Ho-Chun Huang - NOAA Affiliate
Time: Tue Apr 21 11:54:58 2020

Hi, Tatina:

Thanks.

For the very first fail case ID, i.e., initial ticket, I simply click
the
menu button "Taylor" and choose Y1 and fix menu.  I did not do any
other
selections such as x1 size and in the lower right area.  That is the
reason
I asked about "default value".

For now please close this ticket.  Let me play a little more about the
Taylor's diagram.

Thanks again.

Ho-Chun Huang

IMSG at NOAA/NWS/NCEP/EMC

5830 University Research Ct., Rm. 2792

College Park, MD 20740

Ho-Chun.Huang at noaa.gov <Joe.Smith at noaa.gov>

301-683-3958

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 12:53 PM Tatiana Burek via RT

<met_help at ucar.edu