[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #94885] History for Can MET read compress netCDF file

Howard Soh via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Thu Apr 16 14:45:49 MDT 2020

EMC is in a discussion with NOAA NESDIS aerosol group on the L3 gridded
VIIRS AOD file for regional and global AOD verification.

We are considering requesting a fine resolution such as 1kmx1km and hourly
data.  The file size can be huge as the number of grids is 36000x18000.
But at any hour, only a limited area of the globe has VIIRS observation.
The rest of the globe are null values.  We are considering the use of
netCDF compress utilities (nccopy) to greatly reduce the filesize for
dataflow between NESDIS and NCO, e.g.,

nccopy -dN test.nc testd1.nc for N in [1,9].

Please do web search of nccopy for more detail (I found info at UCAR
Unidata site)

My question to the MET group is can MET handle the compress netCDF data? at
what level -d, -k, -s, ...etc. do you suggest us to use without losing
accuracy?

Thank you for your help.

Ho-Chun Huang

IMSG at NOAA/NWS/NCEP/EMC

5830 University Research Ct., Rm. 2792

College Park, MD 20740

Ho-Chun.Huang at noaa.gov <Joe.Smith at noaa.gov>

301-683-3958

I am sorry for the delayed response. I assigned this ticket to John
Halley Gotway, who is more familiar with how MET handles compressed
NetCDF files.

Thanks,
George

From: Howard Soh
Time: Thu Apr 16 10:54:19 2020

The compressed NetCDF files are supported. MET can produce the
compressed NetCDF with "-compress level" option.

Cheers,
Howard

From: Ho-Chun Huang - NOAA Affiliate
Time: Thu Apr 16 11:26:18 2020

Hi, Howard:

Thanks for the information.  MET will support compress netCDf at any
level
of compression?  for example -d9 (although I do not think I will use
it).
 Most likely, -d1 or -d3 can reduce the file size by factor.  Just
want to
be sure before I talk to the satellite group about the requirement
tomorrow.

From: Howard Soh
Time: Thu Apr 16 13:18:54 2020

Yes, MET supports any level of compression. I did not compare the
compressed file size recently but there was no big saving with 4+
compression level.

Cheers,
Howard

On Thu Apr 16 11:26:18 2020, ho-chun.huang at noaa.gov wrote:
> Hi, Howard:
>
> Thanks for the information.  MET will support compress netCDf at any
level
> of compression?  for example -d9 (although I do not think I will use
it).
>  Most likely, -d1 or -d3 can reduce the file size by factor.  Just
want to
> be sure before I talk to the satellite group about the requirement
tomorrow.

> Ho-Chun Huang
>
> IMSG at NOAA/NWS/NCEP/EMC
>
> 5830 University Research Ct., Rm. 2792
>
> College Park, MD 20740
>
> Ho-Chun.Huang at noaa.gov <Joe.Smith at noaa.gov>
>
> 301-683-3958
>

> On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 12:54 PM Howard Soh via RT
>
> > The compressed NetCDF files are supported. MET can produce the
compressed
> > NetCDF with "-compress level" option.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Howard
> >
> > On Thu Apr 16 08:55:25 2020, mccabe wrote:
> > > Hi Ho-Chun,
> > >
> > > I am sorry for the delayed response. I assigned this ticket to
John
> > > Halley Gotway, who is more familiar with how MET handles
compressed
> > > NetCDF files.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > George

L3

Thanks.  Great information from you.  Please close the ticket.