[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #90558] History for MET Viewer

Tatiana Burek via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Thu Apr 2 12:58:31 MDT 2020

John, If we discussed this before I apologize for losing the bubble.  We are currently in the process of adding MET-8.1 to our CM baseline.  Next would be MET Viewer.   How will you deliver MET Viewer to us?  Will it be a tar ball with instructions to install or something else?  I would like to get it on our Dev System to use it against our MET generated data.   I also have to submit paper work to get permission to get it on Dev 9.

Tara had mentioned that we could send you our data check it out remotely.  I am pretty much one deep currently so don't have time to check it out there -  unless you feel that the MET data we produce might not interface correctly with it and might need some testing.

Thanks
Bob Craig

We can provide you a tar ball and give the instructions how to install
and use it.
Java 8, MariaDB (or MySQL) and Rscript with additional packages need
to be installed on the dev system prior the installation of METviewer

Tatiana

On Tue Jun 11 12:38:26 2019, robert.craig.2 at us.af.mil wrote:
> John, If we discussed this before I apologize for losing the bubble.
> We are currently in the process of adding MET-8.1 to our CM
baseline.
> Next would be MET Viewer.   How will you deliver MET Viewer to us?
> Will it be a tar ball with instructions to install or something
else?
> I would like to get it on our Dev System to use it against our MET
> generated data.   I also have to submit paper work to get permission
> to get it on Dev 9.
>
> Tara had mentioned that we could send you our data check it out
> remotely.  I am pretty much one deep currently so don't have time to
> check it out there -  unless you feel that the MET data we produce
> might not interface correctly with it and might need some testing.
>
> Thanks
> Bob Craig

Tatiana, since I need to get approval to place these packages on our
Dev system, can you tell me the package name versions we should
install?  Where can we download JAVA 8, Rscript, and MySQL from?

Thanks
Bob Craig

From: Tatiana Burek
Time: Tue Jun 11 14:30:24 2019

Bob,
These are the standard packages and sysadmins should know how to
install them.
Below are the  versions we use on NCAR servers:
 - Java OpenJDK version "1.8.0_212"
 - Database MariaDB 10.1.38-MariaDB-0+deb9u1 or MySQL 5.5.62-0+deb8u1
 - Rscript 3.4.0 (higher is OK)
 R packages:
 - boot 1.3.19
 - gsl - 1.9.10.3
 - stats - 3.4.0
 - parallel  - 3.4.0
 - data.table - 1.10.4.3
 - plotrix - 3.7.5

Tatiana

From: robert.craig.2 at us.af.mil
Time: Wed Jun 12 13:39:27 2019

Tatiana, we are working to get the libraries installed.  I would say
we are ready for the MET Viewer Tar Ball.  I will send you an AMRDEC
Safe request so you can upload the tar ball to a site we can retrieve
it from.  Let me know if you have any questions or problems with this.

Thanks
Bob Craig

From: robert.craig.2 at us.af.mil
Time: Wed Jun 12 13:44:29 2019

Tatinana, I had to send the AMERDEC Safe request to John Gotway since
his was the only email I had for you guys.  I doesn't work if I send
it to met_help for some reason.  If John is not around, send be your
UCAR email and I will send the upload request to you.

Thanks
Bob Craig

From: Tatiana Burek
Time: Wed Jun 12 13:47:43 2019

Bob,
Here is my email:
tatiana at ucar.edu

Tatiana

From: Tatiana Burek
Time: Thu Jun 13 11:34:08 2019

Bob,
To custom build the app I need to know a few parameters:
 - the database type that METviewer will work with. Is it MySQL or
MariaDB?
 - the base directory where METviewer will be installed
 - the path java home

Tatiana

From: robert.craig.2 at us.af.mil
Time: Fri Jun 14 06:50:29 2019

Tatiana, we have asked to have MYSQL installed.  Originally we had
planned to but MET Viewer in with MET 8.1.  Does MET Viewer have to be
recompiled when MET is compiled?
The version of JAVA we currently have is 1.7.0_201.  The path to it is
/usr/bin.  Is this version too old?

From: Tatiana Burek
Time: Fri Jun 14 07:44:51 2019

Bob,
 Java 1.7 is too old and will not work with METviewer.
Oracle JDK v1.8 or OpenJDK v1.8 will work.
METviewer is independent from MET build/install and does not need to
be recompiled.

Tatiana

From: robert.craig.2 at us.af.mil
Time: Fri Jun 14 08:00:16 2019

Tatiana, Okay,  we will have MET Viewer in /h/METVIEWER.  We will be
using MySQL.  It turns out we have Java 8 on the system and its path
is /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.8.0/bin/java  .  We don't have Rscripts on the
system - where can this be downloaded?

From: Tatiana Burek
Time: Fri Jun 14 08:13:25 2019

R can be downloaded from r-script web pages:
https://www.r-project.org/ or R CRAN https://cran.r-project.org/.
After R is install, R packages can be installed with this command:
R>install.packages("boot")

Tatiana

From: Tatiana Burek
Time: Tue Jun 25 09:25:24 2019

Hi Bob,
Are you able to install R and R packages?
Let me know when you are ready for METviewer tar ball.

Tatiana

From: robert.craig.2 at us.af.mil
Time: Wed Jun 26 13:36:16 2019

Tatiana, I am in the process of getting permission to install R and R
packages on our system.  You can place the METVIEWER tar ball on
AMRDEC website anytime and I will grab it.

From: Tatiana Burek
Time: Mon Jul 29 15:06:11 2019

Bob,
I dropped-off the tar ball to ARl safe web site using the link you
sent to John.
The installation is very simple:
- untar this file into <METviewer_home> directory
- change if needed the value of JAVA_HOME parameter in scripts (bin
directory)
- change the value of MV_HOME parameter in n scripts (bin directory)
to <METviewer_home>
- make sure that the scripts are executable
 To test, execute one of the scripts. For example, mv_load.sh. You
should get this:
----  MVLoad  ----
Usage:  mv_load
          load_spec_file
          where   "-index" indicates that no data should be loaded,
and only the indexing commands applied
                  "load_spec_file" specifies the XML load
specification document
----  MVLoad Done  ----

Tatiana

From: robert.craig.2 at us.af.mil
Time: Thu Aug 08 09:06:29 2019

Tatiana, I have installed metviewer on our dev system.  When I run
mv_load.sh, I get the following error:
mv_load.sh: line 20: -classpath: command not found
Looking in the code, I see the following line:
$JAVA -classpath $CLASSPATH -Xmx2048M edu.ucar.metviewer.MVLoad $@

Should I replace edu.ucar.metviewer with $MV_HOME? Any other changes?

Is there any documentation on how to install and run metviewer?

Thanks
Bob Craig

From: Tatiana Burek
Time: Fri Aug 09 09:35:46 2019

Hi Bob,
Please add this line:
JAVA=${JAVA_HOME}/bin/java

after MV_HOME=/METviewer

to scripts:

mv_batch.sh
mv_load.sh
mv_prune.sh
mv_scorecard.sh

We have some documentation on how to run METviewer:
http://www.dtcenter.org/met/metviewer/doc/load.html
http://www.dtcenter.org/met/metviewer/doc/plot.html
http://www.dtcenter.org/met/metviewer/doc/scorecard.html
http://www.dtcenter.org/met/metviewer/doc/database_scrubbing.html