[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #94651] History for profile comparison

Minna Win via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Thu Apr 2 09:39:57 MDT 2020

I’m thinking to use METplus to have area averaged profile comparison between two gridded model.
Is there any function in METplus can do that?
Thank you.

Best,
Shih-Wei

Subject: profile comparison
From: Minna Win
Time: Thu Mar 19 11:19:47 2020

Hello Shih-Wei,

It looks like you might be interested in using the MET grid-stat tool
perform your grid-to-grid comparison.  Fortunately, there is a METplus
support for that tool. The latest version of MET and METplus just
released
(v 9.0 and v3.0 respectively).  To get started on using METplus for
your
application, please refer to the online documentation at:

https://ncar.github.io/METplus

Click on the 'User's Guide' for instructions on downloading and
setting up
METplus.

The Grid-stat use cases will be helpful in getting started:
https://ncar.github.io/METplus/Users_Guide/met_tool_wrapper/index.html

Scroll down to section 5.1.6 GridStat and click on either one of the
thumbnails to direct you to the documentation that has example METplus
and
MET config files.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Regards,
Minna

---------------
Minna Win
Developmental Testbed Center
Phone: 303-497-8423
Fax:   303-497-8401

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 10:45 AM Wei, Shih Wei via RT

> Thu Mar 19 10:44:41 2020: Request 94651 was acted upon.
> Transaction: Ticket created by swei at albany.edu
>        Queue: met_help
>      Subject: profile comparison
>        Owner: Nobody
>   Requestors: swei at albany.edu

> I’m thinking to use METplus to have area averaged profile comparison
> between two gridded model.
> Is there any function in METplus can do that?
> Thank you.
>
> Best,
> Shih-Wei

Another question, can I have the statistics between lumping two
variables from one model and another variable from another model?
Like, A1+A2 vs. B1, A and B stand for different model.

Thanks,
Shih-Wei

From: Minna Win
Time: Fri Mar 20 07:04:36 2020

Hello Shih Wei,

I looked through the MET documentation and don't know whether this is
possible.  I've asked one of the developers on the project for
guidance.
I'll keep you informed.

Regards,
Minna
---------------
Minna Win
Developmental Testbed Center
Phone: 303-497-8423
Fax:   303-497-8401

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 12:06 PM Wei, Shih Wei via RT

<met_help at ucar.edu

From: John Halley Gotway
Time: Fri Mar 20 10:38:57 2020

Hello Shih Wei,

This is John Halley Gotway, and I work with Minna on the development
and
support of the MET tools.

I see you have a question about the types of comparisons MET can do:
   Like, A1+A2 vs. B1, A and B stand for different model.

I'm not *exactly* sure what you mean by this question.  I'm hopeful
that we
can find the correct combination of inputs and tools to accomplish the
type
of analysis you want, but we'll need to start by defining a little
more
clearly.

Let me state a couple of details that might help.

- The Grid-Stat tool is used to compare 2 gridded fields and compute
statistics over one or more collections of grid points (e.g. the FULL
domain, the eastern half, or latitude > 0).  Typically, Grid-Stat is
run to
compare a gridded forecast to a gridded analysis.  But you can
certainly
compare two different forecasts to eachother.
- Each run of Grid-Stat takes exactly one input forecast file and one
input
"analysis" file.
- The STAT-Analysis tool can be run on the ASCII output from Grid-Stat
aggregate statistics in a wide variety of ways.

When you say "A1+A2 vs B1", there's multiple ways of interpreting
this.
- Maybe by "A1+A2", you mean their average value at each grid point...
   (1) Run PCP-Combine with the "-derive" option to compute the
average of
A1 and A2.
   (2) Run Grid-Stat to compare the average to B1.

- Maybe you mean, compare A1 vs B1 and A2 vs B1 and then aggregate the
results.
   (1) Run Grid-Stat to compare A1 vs B1.
   (2) Run Grid-Stat to compare A2 vs B1.
   (3) Run STAT-Analysis to aggregate the results from (1) and (2).

- Maybe perhaps A1 and A2 are actually members of an ensemble.  If
that's
the case, I'd recommend using the Ensemble-Stat tool.

Please give it some thought and try to describe what you'd like to do
as
clearly as possible.  And then we can make recommendations from there.

From: Wei, Shih Wei
Time: Fri Mar 20 13:11:01 2020

Hi John,

Sorry for the unclear statement.
For my purpose, I’d like to have one derived variable from multiple
variables of model A then compare this derived variable with certain
variable of model B.
The approach with PCP-Combine should be working for me.
I check the manual, pcp_combine will generate another NetCDF file,
right?

Thanks,
Shih-Wei

<met_help at ucar.edu> wrote:

> Hello Shih Wei,
>
> This is John Halley Gotway, and I work with Minna on the development
and
> support of the MET tools.
>
> I see you have a question about the types of comparisons MET can do:
>   Like, A1+A2 vs. B1, A and B stand for different model.
>
> I'm not *exactly* sure what you mean by this question.  I'm hopeful
that we
> can find the correct combination of inputs and tools to accomplish
the type
> of analysis you want, but we'll need to start by defining a little
more
> clearly.
>
> Let me state a couple of details that might help.
>
> - The Grid-Stat tool is used to compare 2 gridded fields and compute
> statistics over one or more collections of grid points (e.g. the
FULL
> domain, the eastern half, or latitude > 0).  Typically, Grid-Stat is
run to
> compare a gridded forecast to a gridded analysis.  But you can
certainly
> compare two different forecasts to eachother.
> - Each run of Grid-Stat takes exactly one input forecast file and
one input
> "analysis" file.
> - The STAT-Analysis tool can be run on the ASCII output from Grid-
Stat to

<met_help at ucar.edu>

From: John Halley Gotway
Time: Fri Mar 20 13:19:22 2020

Shih-Wei,

Ah, OK, so you'd really like to read 2-variables from model A, derive
a new
field, and then compare that to model B.

One way this can be done is using python-embedding.  You could write
python
script to implement that derivation logic and then hand the result to
grid_stat via memory. If the derivation "logic" is simple, like
computing
the min, max, or mean, you could do it using pcp_combine.

If it's something more complex (i.e. not a supported "-derive" type in
pcp_combine), I'd recommend using python embedding instead.

What are you deriving from these 2 variables?

On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 1:11 PM Wei, Shih Wei via RT

From: Wei, Shih Wei
Time: Fri Mar 20 14:24:15 2020

John,

I haven’t decide yet, because we’re dealing with different bin size of
aerosols in two model.
Currently, it may lump two variables together, but other some species
may be tricky.

Shih-Wei

From: John Halley Gotway
Time: Fri Mar 20 14:35:21 2020

OK, that's fine.  In case you decide to go the python embedding path,
please refer to examples shown here:
https://dtcenter.org/community-code/model-evaluation-tools-met/sample-
analysis-scripts

All of these examples read data from some input file and pass them to
the
plot_data_plane tool in MET to plot that data.  I'd highly recommend
starting that way too to make sure that MET is reading your data
correctly
and and placing it at the right spot on the earth.  Once it works with
plot_data_plane, you can use the same script to pass the input into
grid_stat.

Hope this helps get you going.

On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 2:24 PM Wei, Shih Wei via RT