[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #92767] History for Re: New to METplus: help setup for tutorial

Julie Prestopnik via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Tue Oct 29 10:18:13 MDT 2019

George and David,
Thank you for the information. Let me look for the files and get back to
you. Since I just started working on Hera I'm not familiar with the
directories but this helps.

Thanks

Tatiana

On Tuesday, October 22, 2019, George McCabe via RT <met_help at ucar.edu>
wrote:

> Hi Tatiana,
>
> All of the variables mentioned here are specific to the tutorial. The
> tutorial participants had their environments set up prior to these
> instructions so they already had these variables set correctly. FYI, you do
> not need to set MET_BASE and probably should not set it unless it is
> already set.
>
> * MET_BUILD_BASE should be set to the location that MET is installed. Since
> you ran module load met/8.1, you should be able to run 'which point_stat'
> and see where it is found. For example, if you run 'which point_stat' and
> you get:
>
> /usr/local/met-8.1.1/bin/point_stat
>
> then you should set MET_BUILD_BASE to /usr/local/met-8.1.1
>
> * METPLUS_BUILD_BASE should be set to path where METplus is located. This
> is the path to a directory called METplus that contains subdirectories like
> ush, parm, and doc. I am not sure where it is found on hera. If it is not
> found there, you will have to get it from GitHub yourself. Let me know if
> you need to do that and I can help you with that.
>
> * METPLUS_DATA is the directory that contains all of the sample data that
> is used for the tutorial. I don't think these are on hera, so you will need
> to download them from the METplus GItHub page and unzip them into a
> directory on hera. You should set METPLUS_DATA to that directory. Go to the
> releases page: https://github.com/NCAR/METplus/releases, go down to
> METplus
> 2.2, click on Assets, then download each of the sample_data* files that are
> attached to that release and put them in a folder of your choosing. Then
> run
> *tar zxf sample_data**
> to untar the data. It should create directories with names that correspond
> to each sample data tarball. Set METPLUS_DATA to this top level directory.
>
> Please let me know if you have any issues or questions and I will be happy
> to help you.
>
> Thanks,
> George
>

> On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 10:28 PM David Fillmore via RT <met_help at ucar.edu>
> wrote:

> > Hi Tatiana -
> >
> > The MET_BASE env variable points to a directory that contains various
> > subdirs for shared MET data.
> > For example, on my system, MET_BASE=<prefix>/share/met.
> > <prefix> is the MET install dir specified with the --prefix configure
> > option.
> > Within MET_BASE are, for instance, the map, poly, and config subdirs, and
> > several others.
> > The config subdir there is important, it holds all of the default config
> > files, one for each MET tool.
> > Usually users modify one of these default config files to get started.
> >
> > Not sure about MET_BUILD_BASE on your system, might be METplus related.
> > I'll find someone on the METplus team who can reply to your METplus
> > specific questions.
> [...]

*Tatiana D. Gonzalez, PhD.*
*Analysis & Nowcast **Branch*
*Analysis and Mission Support Division*

*Analyze, Forecast and Support Office*

*National Weather ServiceSilver Spring, Maryland*

*Ph. (301) 427-9500 *