[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #92694] History for Python embedding with prob = TRUE

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Tue Oct 22 13:43:27 MDT 2019

Hi met-help!

I have a quick question on the python embedding capability.

With a forecast file in GRIB format, I can do some probabilistic
verification (with point-stat) with following configuration:

fcst = {
   cat_thresh = [ ==0.1 ];
   field = [
      { name = "TCDC"; prob = TRUE;
        GRIB_lvl_typ = 10;
        GRIB_lvl_val1 = 0;
      }
   ];
}

To do the same thing with NetCDF forecast file, I uses a python embedding
with following configuration:

fcst = {
   cat_thresh = [ ==0.1 ];
   field = [
      { name = "./python_embedding.py"; prob = TRUE; }
   ];
}

However, this does not produce "PCT" (Contingency Table counts for
Probabilistic forecasts). It seems that with above configurations, the
variable is not processed as probabilistic variable.

So my question is ... can we treat a given forecast variable as a
probabilistic variable WITH python embedding?

Thank you,

BJ

--

Byoung-Joo (BJ) Jung

Mesoscale and Microscale Meteorology Laboratory

PO Box 3000, Boulder CO 80307

Phone: 303-497-8151