[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #92432] History for CONVERT_EXE problem in METplus batch job

Minna Win via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Fri Oct 18 09:28:10 MDT 2019

I'm running METplus on WCOSS Gyre (Phase II), and I'm running into an
execution issue that's coming from the CONVERT_EXE configuration setting.

In my system conf file, I originally had CONVERT_EXE pointing to
/usr/bin/convert. Everything works fine when running METplus interactively
on the command line. However, when running METplus in a batch script, I get
the following error:
ERROR:  Executable CONVERT_EXE does not exist at /usr/bin/convert

The error is fatal, and no output is produced. I've had that error happen
before in a batch job unrelated to METplus, so I believe that error is a
Gyre issue.

I was advised to try changing CONVERT_EXE to point to ImageMagick's convert
at /usrx/local/ImageMagick/6.8.3-3/bin/convert. Making that change allows
METplus to find the executable and successfully produce output. However,
with that configuration setting, my MPI/poescript tasks run serially
instead of in parallel. I've double checked only changing the CONVERT_EXE
setting, and I can confirm that the error and issue I'm seeing are at least
somewhat influenced by that setting.

Any advice or help on how to work around this issue would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
Logan

--
*Logan C. Dawson, Ph.D.*
Support Scientist, I.M. Systems Group, Inc.