[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #89704] History for Python embedding for grib format

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Wed Nov 6 16:56:47 MST 2019

Hi MET-Help,

I am trying to use python embedding for grib format in MET v8.
I know that MET can already handle Grib files, but python embedding would
give more flexibility.

Attached is my python script for embedding (python_script_gfs.py.txt). I am
using PYGRIB library to handle the grib format.
When I run this script just as a python, it basically works. It extracts a
given variables into NUMPY array and give some plot.
When I use this as python embedding in MET, it gives "Segmentation fault
(core dumped)" at Line 47. This line extracts the data values of given Grib
Record from Grib file, and returns as a NUMPY array. I have used very basic
MET executable to test this.
$ plot_data_plane PYTHON_NUMPY test.ps 'name="python_script_gfs.py";'

I am testing this issue on NCAR Cheyenne machine with following environment.

$ module purge

$ module use /glade/p/ral/jntp/MET/MET_releases/modulefiles

$ module load met/8.0

$ ncar_pylib

FYI, I can successfully use python embedding of NetCDF files for
 plot_data_plane or grid_stat.

Thank you for your help!
BJ

--

Byoung-Joo (BJ) Jung

Mesoscale and Microscale Meteorology Laboratory

PO Box 3000, Boulder CO 80307

Phone: 303-497-8151