[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #91026] History for Differing matched pair between MET 7.0 and MET 8.0/8.1

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Mon Jul 15 12:07:44 MDT 2019

I was comparing output from grid_stat from MET 8.1 to results for VSDB. I
noticed large differences for the NCEP verification regions NPO, SPO, NAO,
and SPO. Looking further into the matched pairs for these regions appear to
be way off.

DEBUG 2: Processing TMP/Z2 versus TMP/Z2, for smoothing method NEAREST(1),
over region NPO, using 8583 pairs.
DEBUG 2: Computing Scalar Partial Sums.
DEBUG 2: Processing TMP/Z2 versus TMP/Z2, for smoothing method NEAREST(1),
over region SPO, using 8400 pairs.
DEBUG 2: Computing Scalar Partial Sums.
DEBUG 2: Processing TMP/Z2 versus TMP/Z2, for smoothing method NEAREST(1),
over region NAO, using 8409 pairs.
DEBUG 2: Computing Scalar Partial Sums.
DEBUG 2: Processing TMP/Z2 versus TMP/Z2, for smoothing method NEAREST(1),
over region SAO, using 8331 pairs.

These are tiny regions over the northern and southern Atlantic and Pacific
Oceans. The matches pairs for VSDB are NPO with 365, SPO is 179, NAO is
188, and SAO is 112.

I didn't remember this being an issue before so I went back and tested
older version of MET. I ran the same case with the same masks for 8.0 and
had the same result. However when I ran with 7.0, I saw something different.

DEBUG 2: Processing TMP/Z2 versus TMP/Z2, for smoothing method NEAREST(1),
over region NPO, using 362 pairs.
DEBUG 2: Computing Scalar Partial Sums.
DEBUG 2: Processing TMP/Z2 versus TMP/Z2, for smoothing method NEAREST(1),
over region SPO, using 179 pairs.
DEBUG 2: Computing Scalar Partial Sums.
DEBUG 2: Processing TMP/Z2 versus TMP/Z2, for smoothing method NEAREST(1),
over region NAO, using 188 pairs.
DEBUG 2: Computing Scalar Partial Sums.
DEBUG 2: Processing TMP/Z2 versus TMP/Z2, for smoothing method NEAREST(1),
over region SAO, using 110 pairs.

These are much closer to and comparable to VSDB.

What is interesting is that the rectangular/latitude defined regions all
have the correct, and same number of matches pairs for all MET versions. It
just seems that there is a problem with regions that are more oddly shaped,
and not as "clean" per say.

I'm not sure what is going on, maybe I am missing something. I have a
directory on WCOSS (Luna) with all my log files. Any help is welcome!

Mallory