[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #90496] History for MODE

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Wed Jul 10 17:01:12 MDT 2019

Hi!

I have some questions about  MODE.
In aranda_data, I put the configure file and a postscript file.

1) Interest Function:
  I use the same Interest Function configure that in the configure default.
I know that to calculate  the total interest equation I need the
information to the Interest maps and the confidence maps for attributes. is
the interest function that appears in the MODE configuration file, the same
that  the Interest maps defined in the METv7.0 User's Guide (page 267)?

where I could find information about the confidence maps? METv7.0 User's
Guide says: all of the confidence maps except the map for axis angle are
set to a constant value of 1 and this is because the axis angle attribute
depends on the the aspect ratio. How can I see the confidence maps in the
MODE configuration file?

Also, I read *The Method for Object-Based Diagnostic Evaluation (MODE)
Applied to Numerical Forecasts from the 2005 NSSL/SPC Spring Program* paper
and in this paper, in the Appendix A, there is an Interest maps graphic. Is
this the interest maps that MET v7.0 use to describe the objects or is for
an specific case?

2) angle difference:
the angle difference is the difference between two axis objects. In my case
I want to verify the precipitation WRF model and for that I compare these
with the precipitation estimates from the IMERG FR.

In the postscript, for the cluster number  , the angle difference is 3,25°.
So is this the angle that the long axis of the  WRF object makes with
respect to the IMERG object? Could I say that the forecast object is
northern than the observation object? and if the forecast object is in  the
south respect to  the observation object?

Thanks,

Natalí