[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #80271] History for I think I found a bug

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Wed Jul 10 17:01:11 MDT 2019

Hello met help team,

I think I found a bug in data2d_utils.cc, function rotate_uv_grid_to_earth:
It's about rotating to earth relative grid.

Instead of

           // Rotate U component
            u_rot = cosd(alpha_deg)*u + sind(alpha_deg)*v;

            // Rotate V component
            v_rot = -1.0*sind(alpha_deg)*u + cosd(alpha_deg)*v;

It should be

           // Rotate U component
            u_rot = cosd(alpha_deg)*u - sind(alpha_deg)*v;

            // Rotate V component
            v_rot = sind(alpha_deg)*u + cosd(alpha_deg)*v;

Could you please confirm this?
Concerning transforming WRF winds to "earth'" winds, one has also to consider the mapscale factors, right? I could not find this in the met-code so far

Cheers, Jonas Berndt

Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
52425 Juelich
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Juelich