[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #77533] History for Very slow database access (mv_batch)

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Wed Jul 10 16:43:25 MDT 2019

Hi MET help:

I have been attempting to generate some verification stats that encompass
about 4 months of forecasts (4 cycles per day, indep variable is lead time
and it is hourly).  I've noticed that when running the batch engine to make
these plots that it's going very slowly.  For example, I'm attempting to
make 4 plots at the moment and started the script at 18:56:33 UTC.  It is
was 19:44:32 UTC, nearly an hour later, when I stopped the script since no
plots had been generated.

Anyway, I've run into this issue quite a bit over the last 24 hours.  Is
this associated with trying to pull too many records from the database?
Yesterday I did leave the script overnight and it had completed by morning,
so it did work eventually.

Thanks!
Jacob

Could you please direct me to the XML file you are using for the batch
mode.
It will help me to understand the problem.

Tatiana

From: Jacob Carley - NOAA Affiliate
Time: Wed Aug 17 11:29:36 2016

Hi Tatiana,

Sure thing.  Here is the path to one such xml file:

/metviewer/staging/wd20jc/scripts/mv_batch_surface_for_tatiana.xml

This can take 10 mins to an hour to run.  The system's timing seems to
be a
bit fickle.

I can also attach and send the xml if you would prefer that.

Thanks!
Jacob

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 1:21 PM, Tatiana Burek via RT

From: Tatiana Burek
Time: Wed Aug 17 13:45:53 2016

Jacob,
I'm pretty sure that the size of emc_g2o database is the main factor
here.
line_data_sl1l2 table has 498 929 053 records in it!

You use fcst_init_beg as a fixed field in your plots.
Is it the most likely field you use? If it is I could partition tables
using this field that would speed up the queries.

Tatiana

From: Jacob Carley - NOAA Affiliate
Time: Wed Aug 17 14:07:57 2016

Hi Tatiana,

Wow - well that's pretty huge!  Unfortunately that database is only
going
to grow with time as more stats are loaded into it each day.

I do use fcst_init_beg quite often to stratify the stats by forecast
cycle
date/time.  However, I am not sure if others tend to prefer the same
approach and do not want to risk slowing down other types of queries.
Alternatively, if you have suggestions for other effective parameters
or
settings to use that may accomplish the same thing, that would be
great too!

We do have an EMC and MET development telecon planned for this Friday
and I
think that is probably the time to discuss this and get everyone's
thoughts.  I'm happy to add you to the Google Calendar invite if you
would
like to attend.

Thanks!
Jacob

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 3:45 PM, Tatiana Burek via RT

From: Tara Jensen
Time: Wed Aug 17 14:21:16 2016

Hi Jacob,

Seperate from helpdesk - I'll send you an email list of people to
include
in the discussion. OL?

Thanks, Tara

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 2:07 PM, Jacob Carley - NOAA Affiliate via RT

> Hi Tatiana,
>
> Wow - well that's pretty huge!  Unfortunately that database is only
going
> to grow with time as more stats are loaded into it each day.
>
> I do use fcst_init_beg quite often to stratify the stats by forecast
cycle
> date/time.  However, I am not sure if others tend to prefer the same
> approach and do not want to risk slowing down other types of
queries.
> Alternatively, if you have suggestions for other effective
parameters or
> settings to use that may accomplish the same thing, that would be
great
> too!
>
> We do have an EMC and MET development telecon planned for this
Friday and I
> think that is probably the time to discuss this and get everyone's
> thoughts.  I'm happy to add you to the Google Calendar invite if you
would
> like to attend.
>
> Thanks!
> Jacob
>
> On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 3:45 PM, Tatiana Burek via RT
>
> > Jacob,
> > I'm pretty sure that the size of emc_g2o database is the main
factor
> here.
> > line_data_sl1l2 table has 498 929 053 records in it!
> >
> > You use fcst_init_beg as a fixed field in your plots.
> > Is it the most likely field you use? If it is I could partition
tables
> > using this field that would speed up the queries.
> >
> > Tatiana
> > On Wed Aug 17 11:29:36 2016, jacob.carley at noaa.gov wrote:
> > > Hi Tatiana,
> > >
> > > Sure thing.  Here is the path to one such xml file:

/metviewer/staging/wd20jc/scripts/mv_batch_surface_for_tatiana.xml

> > > This can take 10 mins to an hour to run.  The system's timing
seems to
> > > be a
> > > bit fickle.
> > >
> > > I can also attach and send the xml if you would prefer that.
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > > Jacob
> > >

> > > On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 1:21 PM, Tatiana Burek via RT
> > > <met_help at ucar.edu>

Tara Jensen
Project Manager II
NCAR RAL and DTC
PO Box 3000, Boulder, Colorado 80307 USA
+1 303-497-8479          jensen at ucar.edu