[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #86145] History for ref: How to find "absolute values"

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Wed Jul 10 16:39:14 MDT 2019

Good afternoon,

I am trying to find "absolute intensity errors" using AMAX_WIND and
BMAX_WIND.

I am able to find the difference ie; AMAX_WIND-BMAX_WIND.  However, when I
tried to find its absolute value; the program fails.

The following methods have been tried:

DEP_VAL = (abs(AMAX_WIND-BMAX_WIND))
DEP_VAL = (ABS(AMAX_WIND-BMAX_WIND))
DEP_VAL = "(ABS(AMAX_WIND-BMAX_WIND))"
DEP_VAL = "(abs(AMAX_WIND-BMAX_WIND))"
DEP_VAL= (ABS\AMAX_WIND-BMAX_WIND\)
DEP_VAL= (abs\AMAX_WIND-BMAX_WIND\)

How does one use the "absolute" function?

Thanks,
Steve