[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #83032] History for verifying VIS (and other "surface" items)

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Tue Jul 9 12:04:06 MDT 2019

Hi, there,

New question on a new topic.  I am trying to verify visibility and having
some issues.  I think this is something that you might have discussed
previously but I need my memory refreshed.

In the observed BUFR file, the variable for visibility is "HOVI".
Originally in the variable obs_grib_code in PB2NC, I had VIS and visibility
was never plotted out.  I surmised that this is because there is no
variable "VIS" in the observations.

I went into one of Ben's parm files and noticed that he had a line similar
to this one, which I added into my PB2NC:

obs_var_map = [
   { key = "HOVI";     val = "VIS"; },
];

To cover my bases, I added this to the point_stat config file:

fcst = {
field = [
     {
       name = "VIS";
       level = "Z0";
       cat_thresh = [ >=800, >=1600, >=8046, >=16090 ];
     };
   ];

}

obs = [
     {
       name = "HOVI";
       level = "Z0";
       cat_thresh = [ >=800, >=1600, >=8046, >=16090 ];
     };
   ];

I made the 2nd change above before I added the obs_var_map variable into
the PB2NC parm file.  None of these combinations got me any verification of
visibility.

Questions:

1)  Is Z0 the correct level for this?

2)  Is this something that I can only do if using the MET 6.1 beta?  To be
honest I'm not entirely positive I am linking to the MET 6.1 beta and might
need some help setting that up.

Thanks!

Perry