[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #83028] History for using point_stat to verify MSONET data

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Tue Jul 9 12:04:06 MDT 2019

Hi, there,

I have run into some issues in trying to verify items like 2-m temperature
in point_stat vs. mesonet data.  I noticed that no MSONET data for this
variable was present in the .stat file.  In running point stat with the
verbosity set to 3, I noticed the following:

DEBUG 2: Processing TMP/Z2 versus TMP/Z2, for observation type MSONET, over
region G236, for interpolation method NEAREST(1), using 0 pairs.
DEBUG 3: Number of matched pairs  = 0
DEBUG 3: Observations processed   = 744234
DEBUG 3: Rejected: SID exclusion  = 0
DEBUG 3: Rejected: GRIB code      = 654463
DEBUG 3: Rejected: valid time     = 0
DEBUG 3: Rejected: bad obs value  = 0
DEBUG 3: Rejected: off the grid   = 37
DEBUG 3: Rejected: level mismatch = 84847
DEBUG 3: Rejected: quality marker = 0
DEBUG 3: Rejected: message type   = 4887
DEBUG 3: Rejected: masking region = 0
DEBUG 3: Rejected: bad fcst value = 0
DEBUG 3: Rejected: duplicates     = 0

I am wondering - why no matched pairs?  There should be a lot of mesonet
surface-level data to verify (VSDB usually has a very large ob count).   We
don't get this problem with ADPSFC.  There are MSONET .stat lines for
upper-air data, but for some reason not 2-m or 10-m data.  Think we could
find out why?

Thanks!

Perry