[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #84858] History for How to manage APCP with different accumulation period in MET

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Tue Jul 9 12:03:46 MDT 2019

I am currently using UPP with hourly output of WRF (24 frames in a file) in
order to be able to validate my WRF simulation with MET tool. So I get
hourly grib1 WRFPRS files, each one containig a field with APCP at the
level A01.

I would like to validate this field with SYNOP data. In these data, I have
only APCP data at the level A03 (cumul over 3hrs).

I use point_stat and try to test the hourly WRF field:
{
        name       = "APCP";
        level      = [ "A01","A03","A06" ] ;
      },
I use the same field definition for fcst and obs.

In the log, I see that some forecast data are found for APCP/A01 or
APCP/A03.
But I do not get data for APCP/A01 for every hour. It seems strange because
I work with hourly WRF output. Is this normal ? How are APCP with no
precipitation (0 mm) processed in point_stat ?
And how do I get forecast data for APCP/A03 while I'm running point_stat
for each time file separately ???

Could you explain me how point_stat is processing APCP ? There is very
little information in the doc.

Thanks a lot for your help

PS: I send you in copy the pointstat_config file and the log after
point_stat

*Blandine L'Hévéder*
Météo - Océan -Climat

blandine.lheveder at gmail.com