[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #90023] History for Missing observation file for point_stat, but no error

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Tue Jul 9 12:06:50 MDT 2019

I've run into a problem with point_stat....I have some runs where I have
missing observation files (well actually, the files exist but for some
reason point_stat is occasionally not reading them at runtime...I suspect
this is a Cheyenne problem and not a MET problem but I can't be sure), and
rather than giving an error code, point_stat just continues and exists with
a success status message.

WARNING:

WARNING: process_obs_file() -> can't open observation netCDF file:
/glade/scratch/kavulich/HRRR/2018/experiment3/run/2018062400/pb2nc/
rap.2018062401.prepbufr.tm00.nc

WARNING:

DEBUG 2:

DEBUG 2:

DEBUG 2:

DEBUG 2: Processing TMP/Z2 versus TMP/Z2, for observation type ADPSFC, over
region FULL, for interpolation method BILIN(4), using 0 pairs.

DEBUG 2:

DEBUG 2:

DEBUG 2:

DEBUG 2: Processing DPT/Z2 versus DPT/Z2, for observation type ADPSFC, over
region FULL, for interpolation method BILIN(4), using 0 pairs.

DEBUG 2:

DEBUG 2:

DEBUG 2:

DEBUG 2: Processing SPFH/Z2 versus SPFH/Z2, for observation type ADPSFC,
over region FULL, for interpolation method BILIN(4), using 0 pairs.

DEBUG 2:

DEBUG 2:

DEBUG 2:

DEBUG 2: Processing RH/Z2 versus RH/Z2, for observation type ADPSFC, over
region FULL, for interpolation method BILIN(4), using 0 pairs.

DEBUG 2:

DEBUG 2:

DEBUG 2:

DEBUG 2: Processing UGRD/Z10 versus UGRD/Z10, for observation type ADPSFC,
over region FULL, for interpolation method BILIN(4), using 0 pairs.

DEBUG 2:

DEBUG 2:

DEBUG 2:

DEBUG 2: Processing VGRD/Z10 versus VGRD/Z10, for observation type ADPSFC,
over region FULL, for interpolation method BILIN(4), using 0 pairs.

DEBUG 2:

DEBUG 2:

DEBUG 2:

DEBUG 2: Processing WIND/Z10 versus WIND/Z10, for observation type ADPSFC,
over region FULL, for interpolation method BILIN(4), using 0 pairs.

DEBUG 2:

DEBUG 2:

DEBUG 2:

DEBUG 1: Output file:
./point_stat_ARWref_hrconus_experiment3_F01_ADPSFC_010000L_20180624_010000V.stat

kavulich at cheyenne5:/gpfs/fs1/p/ral/jntp/DAtask/kavulich/HRRR-2018/code/rapid-refresh/HRRR/bin/MET>
echo $?

0

It appears to be related to this change from several years ago:
http://mailman.ucar.edu/pipermail/met_help/2010-October/001434.html

Is there any runtime option to modify this behavior to exit with an error
if the file is not found? Or is my only option to modify the code myself
and recompile?

Michael Kavulich, Jr.
Associate Scientist, National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR)
Joint Numerical Testbed (JNT), Research Applications Laboratory (RAL)
*kavulich at ucar.edu <kavulich at ucar.edu>*