[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #82839] History for Question regarding the WRF-precipitation and NCEP Stage IV evaluation

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Tue Jul 9 12:04:09 MDT 2019

Here I have a quick question regarding how to use Grid-STAT to evaluate the precipitation from WRF with the observation NCEP Stage IV. The precipitation of WRF is the sum of field "RAINNC" and "RAINC", there are accumulated precipitation from the start time of the model, I have 10 days (240 hours, I would like to use the last hour). However, the NCEP Stage IV is the hourly precipitation in the format (GRIB). My plan is to use PCP-Combine to sum the precipitations of all the NCEP Stage IV as the accumulated precipitation and use "Grid-STAT" and "Stat-Analysis" to have the grid-comparison.
However, I got stuck with the following questions:
1. How to re-grid both the results of the last hour of WRF and the sum of NCEP Stage IV?
2. How to compare the sum of fields "RAINNC" and "RAINC" of WRF with NCEP Stage IV?
3. Is there any template or tutorial for comparing the precipitation of WRF with NCEP Stage IV?

I look forward to hearing from you!

Sincerely,
Zhonghua