[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #82837] History for MODE tool miss some result

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Tue Jul 9 12:04:10 MDT 2019

Dear Sir:

   I run mode tool (v5.01)but get CENTROID_DIST with NA, would you please
tell me what's the matter.

My best wishes

Gaohua

Subject: MODE tool miss some result
From: John Halley Gotway
Time: Thu Nov 02 14:52:06 2017

Gaohua,

I see you have some questions about the MODE tool.  I see from the
data you
sent to me that you've run MODE to evaluate 1-hour accumulated
precipitation.

MODE is used to compare a gridded forecast field to a gridded
observation
field.  It first identifies objects in each field separately, and then
it
compares the forecast objects to the observation objects to assess how
well
they match up.  The "_obj.txt" file that MODE writes contains a
summary of
the objects attributes.  Really this file contains 6 different types
of
lines that are distinguished by the contents of the "OBJECT_ID"
column:

(1) F###: A capital F followed by 3 integers means that this line
contains
information about simple *F*orecast objects.
(2) O###: Lines with a capital O followed by 3 integers are for simple
*O*bservation objects.
(3) F###_O###: These lines summarize the comparison of a simple
forecast
object to a simple observation object.
(4) CF###: Describe cluster (i.e. groups of) forecast objects.
(5) CO###: Describe cluster (i.e. groups of) observation objects.
(6) CF###_CO###: These lines summarize the comparison of cluster
forecast
objects to cluster observation objects.

The file you sent only contains line of type (1): F001, F002, and
F003.
That means that MODE found 3 forecast objects and 0 observation
objects.

You should look closely at your input data to see why you didn't get
any
observation objects.

The PostScript file written by MODE should be very helpful in
displaying
the raw input data and the location of objects.

Some other thoughts:

(1) I see you're using MET version 5.1.  The current version is 6.0.
I'd
recommend upgrading.
(2) If you haven't read the User's Guide about MODE yet, you can find
it
here:
   https://dtcenter.org/met/users/docs/users_guide/MET_Users_Guide_v6.0.pdf
(3) The online tutorial has some nice examples for MODE:
   https://dtcenter.org/met/users/support/online_tutorial/METv6.0/index.php