[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #90917] History for Point_stat and unmatched pairs

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Mon Jul 8 12:35:32 MDT 2019

I am currently using *point_stat* in attempt to verify a 1-hour
precipitation forecast from the experimental High Resolution Rapid Refresh
(HRRR) model with a network of surface rain gauge observations in the New
York City metro area. The observations cover a domain of roughly 50km x
50km and is near the North Atlantic coastline. The forecast initialization
time is 20180416_0200, where the forecast validation time is 20180416_0300.
The issue I have is when running *point_stat* no matching pairs are found.
At a higher verbosity level I see the following, which tells me there are
no matched pairs:

  DEBUG 2: Searching 8 observations from 8 messages.
  DEBUG 2:
  DEBUG 2:
  DEBUG 2:
  DEBUG 4: set FCST_UNITS:kg/m^2
  DEBUG 4: set OBS_UNITS:NA
  DEBUG 2: Processing APCP/A1 versus APCP/A1, for observation type ADPSFC,
over region FULL, for interpolation method NEAREST(1), using 0 pairs.
  DEBUG 3: Number of matched pairs  = 0
  DEBUG 3: Observations processed   = 8
  DEBUG 3: Rejected: SID exclusion  = 0
  DEBUG 3: Rejected: obs type       = 0
  DEBUG 3: Rejected: valid time     = 8
  DEBUG 3: Rejected: bad obs value  = 0
  DEBUG 3: Rejected: off the grid   = 0
  DEBUG 3: Rejected: topography     = 0
  DEBUG 3: Rejected: level mismatch = 0
  DEBUG 3: Rejected: quality marker = 0
  DEBUG 3: Rejected: message type   = 0
  DEBUG 3: Rejected: masking region = 0
  DEBUG 3: Rejected: bad fcst value = 0
  DEBUG 3: Rejected: duplicates     = 0

In addition, I have made changes to the following dictionaries in my own
configuration file from the default PointStatConfig file:
- fcst
- obs
- obs_window
- mask
- output_flag

I am not sure how to send you some test data through your ftp site, so you
may re-create the issue. When typing in the password for "anonymous", it
does not recognize my email.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Please let me know what else
you may need from me. Thank you.
--
*Adrian Pena*

*NERTO Intern with HMA*
*NOAA EPP/MSI Graduate Scholar at CESSRST CSC*
*MS Candidate, Earth Systems Science & Environmental Engineering*
*The City College of New York at CUNY*
*adrian.pena at noaa.gov <adrian.pena at noaa.gov>*