[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #93338] History for point_stat "unrecognized GRIB1 field"; file_type="NETCDF_MET" in config file

Julie Prestopnik via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Tue Dec 17 10:20:29 MST 2019

Good afternoon,

I am having trouble running MET on netCDF data. I used pcp_combine
-subtract to successfully create a netCDF file
(APCP_wrfout_d05_2017120912_f007_f005.nc) containing accumulation data for
domain five of the AMPS evaluation area. I then used ascii2nc to create a
netCDF file (BATG_ob1.nc) containing an accumulation observation. "psc" is
my configuration file, in which I specify 'field_type="NETCDF_MET"' in the
fcst dictionary. With 'name="APCP"', running point_stat yields the
following:

>point_stat APCP_wrfout_d05_2017120912_f007_f005.nc BATG_ob1.nc psc

DEBUG 1: Default Config File:
/usr/local/met-8.1.1/share/met/config/PointStatConfig_default

DEBUG 1: User Config File: psc

GSL_RNG_TYPE=mt19937

GSL_RNG_SEED=18446744072084449373

DEBUG 1: Forecast File: APCP_wrfout_d05_2017120912_f007_f005.nc

DEBUG 1: Observation File: BATG_ob1.nc

DEBUG 2:

DEBUG 2:

DEBUG 2:

DEBUG 2: Reading data for APCPA2.

WARNING:

WARNING: process_fcst_climo_files() -> no fields matching APCPA2 found in
file: APCP_wrfout_d05_2017120912_f007_f005.nc

WARNING:

ERROR  :

ERROR  : process_fcst_climo_files() -> no requested forecast data found!
Exiting...

ERROR  :

yar:/d1/lave/antarctica> vi psc

yar:/d1/lave/antarctica> point_stat APCP_wrfout_d05_2017120912_f007_f005.nc
BATG_ob1.nc psc

DEBUG 1: Default Config File:
/usr/local/met-8.1.1/share/met/config/PointStatConfig_default

DEBUG 1: User Config File: psc

ERROR  :

ERROR  : VarInfoGrib::add_grib_code() -> unrecognized GRIB1 field
abbreviation 'APCP_02' for table version 2

ERROR  :

So, following the answer given in [Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #85872], I
adjusted my config file to include 'name="APCP_02"'. Running point_stat
then yielded:

>point_stat APCP_wrfout_d05_2017120912_f007_f005.nc BATG_ob1.nc psc

DEBUG 1: Default Config File:
/usr/local/met-8.1.1/share/met/config/PointStatConfig_default

DEBUG 1: User Config File: psc

ERROR  :

ERROR  : VarInfoGrib::add_grib_code() -> unrecognized GRIB1 field
abbreviation 'APCP_02' for table version 2
ERROR  :

What is going on here? It seems like point_stat is expecting a GRIB1 file,
though I specified the input to be a MET-generated netCDF file. I uploaded
the three files to your ftp site.

Sincerely,
Joshua Lave
--
Joshua Lave

*Associate Scientist INational Center for Atmospheric Research*
*(303) 497-8258*
*lave at ucar.edu <lave at ucar.edu>*