[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #89469] History for MET V7.0, help with Ensemble_stat

David Fillmore via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Thu Apr 18 15:12:26 MDT 2019

I am trying to test out the ensemble_stat routine on some COAMPS flatfile 10
m wind output I have from a 20 member ensemble run.  I wasn't quite sure how
to get the flatfile into a netcdf format that could be read in by MET so I
just used ascii2nc to on an ascii file containing a "flattened" list of
uwind forecasts at each latitude and longitude within my COAMPS regional
grid.  Once I had my files named ens00x_nest1.nc, I ran ensemble_stat on an
asci file containing a list of the locations of these netcdf files, changed
my config file and copied the 20th ensemble member (ens020_nest1.nc) to be
my obs netcdf file (obs.nc).  For a 10 member stat run, I get the following:

ensemble_stat ens_file_list ./config.rc -grid_obs obs/obs.nc -outdir ./ -v 2

DEBUG 1: Default Config File:
/software/depot/met-7.0/share/met/config/EnsembleStatConfig_default

DEBUG 1: User Config File: ./config.rc

GSL_RNG_TYPE=mt19937

GSL_RNG_SEED=322607452

DEBUG 1: Ensemble Files[10]:

DEBUG 1:    ./nest1/ens001_nest1.nc

DEBUG 1:    ./nest1/ens002_nest1.nc

DEBUG 1:    ./nest1/ens003_nest1.nc

DEBUG 1:    ./nest1/ens004_nest1.nc

DEBUG 1:    ./nest1/ens005_nest1.nc

DEBUG 1:    ./nest1/ens006_nest1.nc

DEBUG 1:    ./nest1/ens007_nest1.nc

DEBUG 1:    ./nest1/ens008_nest1.nc

DEBUG 1:    ./nest1/ens009_nest1.nc

DEBUG 1:    ./nest1/ens010_nest1.nc

DEBUG 1: Gridded Observation Files[1]:

DEBUG 1:    obs/obs.nc

ERROR  :

ERROR  : MetNcFile::data(NcVar *, const LongArray &, DataPlane &) const ->
star found in bad slot

ERROR  :

I know I definitely made some errors in the formatting of the netcdf file
seeing as ascii2nc is actually meant for ob conversion to netcdf, but this
was the best way I could find seeing as there is currently no way to read in
a IEEE-BE data file into MET.

Let me know if you need more information from me.

Thanks,

Justin

Justin Tsu

Marine Meteorology Division