[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #89636] History for Question regarding AERONET

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Fri Apr 12 12:35:11 MDT 2019

Hi, there,

I have a question regarding MET verification using AERONET data.  I noticed
at this week's METplus telecon that there was an upgrade to the latest beta
version of MET that said that ASCII2NC was updated to use AERONET V2 and V3
data formats.

While having an ASCII version is good (since that is their original
format), we don't have the ASCII version in our directories here at NCEP.
They currently are in BUFR data tanks and I believe we will be putting them
into PREPBUFR here at EMC and using it that way.

Is PB2NC configured to use AERONET data?  Or will there have to be work to
do that?  I haven't been aware if Jeff's team has been working with the DTC
MET developers or not, so it would be good to know if we can use the bufr
version of AERONET for verification.

Thanks!

Perry