[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #86836] History for Very slow grid_stat neighborhood (FSS) calculation?

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Fri Sep 7 16:37:11 MDT 2018

Hello.  I've found the grid_stat calculation for neighborhood
verification (FSS) to be very slow.  For example, a single grid_stat run
to verify a forecast against an analysis (ConUS, 4.763km, verified on
the analysis grid, on 6 thresholds,16 neighborhood widths) running on
Tide takes ~6900 seconds.  My own FSS computation on Tide takes about
240 seconds (same grid, same number of thresholds, double the of number
of neighborhood sizes).  Am I doing something really wrong?  Attached
are the config file and the run script for one really simple test.

Also, I'm doing the FSS computation for the whole ConUS domain (no
sub-domains).  I see that *.stat output generally have 'FULL' plus the
domains selected in 'poly' (in this case, my *.stat has 'FULL' and
'CONUS', and *.stat and METviewer menu shows stats for both FULL and
CONUS (the scores appear to be the identical when plotted).  Can I turn
off computation for 'FULL' (delete 'grid = ["FULL" ] from the config??)
and just have computation for 'CONUS', in order to save time?

Thank you -

Ying

--
Ying Lin
NCEP/EMC/Verification, Post-processing and Product Generation Branch
Ying.Lin at noaa.gov