[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #84261] History for High-resolution masking along coastlines

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Fri Mar 2 16:45:21 MST 2018

Hello MET support,

I would like to use a high-resolution data set to mask the west coast of
the U.S. for my comparison of observed and modeled precipitation. I am
specifically looking at the Pacific Northwest and using GFS output and
Stage IV data (and plan to use other models and observation data sets).

I tried using an intersection of WEST.poly and another file that has the
lats and lons of the box in the Pacific Northwest that I am interested in
looking at. This method worked in isolating the region of interest, however
the WEST.poly file was not detailed enough to mask model output over the
ocean. Do you know of a higher-resolution file I can use to mask the model
output and observations close to the coast?

Thank you, Lisa Darby

--
*Lisa S. Darby, Meteorologist*
NOAA/Earth System Research Laboratory/Physical Sciences Division

303-497-5219

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/hydromet-observations/