[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #88227] History for Plotting ensemble spread/error curves

Julie Prestopnik via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Wed Dec 19 10:38:30 MST 2018

I am interested in creating ensemble spread/error curves with MET and
METviewer.  I loaded statistics for the ensemble mean from point stat into
METviewer, and I see that I have RMSE, OSTDEV, FSTDEV, and ESTDEV.

For ensemble spread, it looks like I needed to also save output from
ensemble stat and load that into METviewer.  I did not save any output that
I generated from ensemble stat, but it looks like SPREAD in the RHIST line
type could be what I am looking for because I want to calculate spread over
a masking region.  I found this in the MET user's guide:

SPREAD
The ensemble spread for a single observation is the standard deviation of
the ensemble member forecast values at that location. When verifying
against point observations, these values are written to the ENS_SPREAD
column of the Observation Rank (ORANK) line type. The ensemble spread
computed over a spatial masking region is the average of the spread values
for all observations falling within the mask. These values are written to
the SPREAD column of the Ranked Histogram (RHIST) line type.

Do I need to re-run ensemble stat to generate values for spread or is it
possible to calculate with the variables I already have from point stat?

Thanks!
Ben