[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #88134] History for Question about Mode Time Domain attributes

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Fri Dec 14 09:17:34 MST 2018

I have two quick questions about the temporal attributes calculated in MTD.

1) Are the start_time_delta and end_time_delta attributes given in terms
of timesteps as opposed to hours/minutes? According to the
documentation, these attributes are "the differences in the
corresponding times associated with the two objects". I assume they are
in terms of timesteps, but I just wanted to verify.

2) Regarding the default interest functions for start_time_delta and
end_time delta, is there a reason that negative time deltas (early
forecasts) are not given any interest? For example, the interest
function for start_time_delta is:

    start_time_delta = (

       (  0.0, 1.0 )
       (  3.0, 0.5 )
       (  5.0, 0.0 )

    );

For this default function, only positive start_time errors are accounted
for and a forecast that is early would be given no interest. I would
expect a symmetric function for this attribute to correctly account for
early forecasts. Meanwhile, the time_centroid_delta attribute does
account for negative time differences:

    time_centroid_delta = (

       ( -3.0, 0.0 )
       ( -2.0, 0.5 )
       ( -1.0, 0.8 )
       (  0.0, 1.0 )
       (  1.0, 0.8 )
       (  2.0, 0.5 )
       (  3.0, 0.0 )

    );

I might be misunderstanding the way the interest functions are designed.
I hope these questions make sense. Thanks again for the continuous
development of such a great verification tool!

Thanks!
Sam Degelia