[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #86521] History for MetViewer: plot scores of the same model at different forecast lengths

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Wed Aug 8 16:02:56 MDT 2018

Hello.  I'd like to be plot scores of the same model at different
forecast lengths (say, two separate lines for GFS GSS, the first line
for the forecast lead time of 24h, the 2nd for the forecast lead time of
48h.

If I select one model and choose two different forecast lead times as
two separate entries (rather than selecting '24' and '48' on the same
line for the forecast lead times), the plot would just be a single line
of scores for aggregated stats from 24h+48h lead times.

Next I tried to select the model 'GFS' twice, on two separate lines (as
Group-y1_1 and Group-y1_2), then for fixed values choose two separate
forecast leads times, 24h and 48h, hoping that MetViewer would apply the
24h to Group_y1_1 and the 48h Group-y1_2.  It didn't seem likely that
MetViewer would interpret this the way I intended, and indeed when I
tried to plot I got an "R error" (see attached Screenshot).

Then I tried to have the "GFS at 24h lead time" as Y1 axis variable and
"GFS at 48h lead time" as Y2 axis variable (that seemed unlikely to be
what the Y1/Y2 option was meant for, but I was out of ideas), see the
attached plot_*.xml and plot_*.png - it seems impossible to have
different lead times for Y1/Y2.  In the resulting plot, while the red
line is indeed the daily time series of GFS' GSS score at 24h lead time,
I've no idea what the blue line is (it's not the scores at 48h), and the
R-data offered no clue.

Is there a way to do this?  Thanks!

Ying

--
Ying Lin
NCEP/EMC/Verification, Post-processing and Product Generation Branch
Ying.Lin at noaa.gov