[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #82205] History for processing ECMWF datasets

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Wed Oct 4 14:04:01 MDT 2017

Dear MET help staff,

I hope you are doing well at your end.

I am trying to evaluate model performance of precipitation using ECMWF data
sets.

Currently, I'm trying to use the data set from NCAR (ds627.0), but can't
run pcp_combine v6 on them.

The error message is:

"ERROR  : gds_to_order() -> Grid type 4 not currently supported."

This is the output from wgrib:

rec 1:0:date 2014060100 TP kpds5=228 kpds6=1 kpds7=0 levels=(0,0) grid=255
sfc ECext=1 class=14 type=9 stream=1025 Version=0001 3hr fcst:
  TP=Total precipitation [m]
  timerange 0 P1 3 P2 0 TimeU 1  nx 512 ny 256 GDS grid 4 num_in_ave 0
missing 0
  center 98 subcenter 0 process 255 Table 128 scan: WE:NS winds(N/S)
  gaussian: lat  89.463000 to -89.463000
            long 0.000000 to 359.297000 by 0.703000, (512 x 256) scan 0
mode 128 bdsgrid 1
  min/max data 0 0.0360537  num bits 16  BDS_Ref 0  DecScale 0 BinScale -20

NCAR has ECMWF data on a Gaussian grid. The documentation says: "variables
originally represented as spectral coefficients or archived on a reduced
Gaussian grid are transformed to a regular 512 longitude by 256 latitude
N128 Gaussian grid"

I've read some posts on MET-help email archive regarding ECMWF, and it
seems those posts used latlon grids.

So, my questions are:

1) Is there a way to process ECMWF data from NCAR (ds627.0) ?
2) Do I have to use ECMWF downloaded directly from the European website
instead ??

I still have not clear that if I use the ECMWF data from the european
website , should I need additional preprocessing, specifically grid
transformation like spectral to latlon ??

Please excuse if I'm overlooking something obvious.
Your help is appreciated.

Thank you so much in advance,

Best,

Victor