[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #80223] History for question about precip observations (UNCLASSIFIED)

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Mon May 1 14:53:40 MDT 2017

CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED

I learned about a website which provides access to precipitation
observations on a 1km grid. I looked through the User's Guide (MET V5.2),
but could not find a reference to the use of these observations. I also
checked your website page at:
http://www.dtcenter.org/met/users/downloads/observation_data.php

The website I'm referring to is:
http://www.nssl.noaa.gov/projects/mrms/

I unpacked and explored one of the files called
"MRMS_RadarOnly_QPE_01H_00.00_20170419-150000.grib2.gz" and the accumulated
precip variable is named "RadarOnlyQPE01H" and not "APCP" which is the name
in the Stage II and Stage IV precip obs.

Can these observations be used in MET?

Thanks.

R/
John