[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #79806] History for Conceptual doubts

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Wed Mar 15 14:09:09 MDT 2017

Dear MET Help staff,

I need some conceptual clarifications. My issue is to compare the
24-hours accumulated rainfall performance of 2 weather forecasting
models, lets say Mod5 vs. Mod15, where 5 and 15 are the grid resolution
(in KMs). Both model's data are in Grib1 format and observation is in a
binary gridded format. We are going to evaluate them during the last 90
summer days.

1) What I'm supposed to do? Should I compare each one against
observation, keep the results separately and then plot the 2 sets of
results? Or there is a way to already evaluate them directly?

2) We've decided to work in the Mod15 grid resolution and I thought
about using Grid-Stat tool at first. The question is, if I have to make
the evaluation of each model in a separately way, how do I change to the
Mod15 resolution when I compare Mod5 vs. observation?

3) Model's and observation data are in 1-hour accumulated values and I
need to make comparison of 24-hour accumulated values. As I'm not sure
if MET tools can accumulate on-the-fly, I've decided to convert all them
to NetCDF. I already know how to accumulate both models and observation
for 24-hours using pcp_combine or NCL, but each accumulation process
generates me one NetCDF file per day. I was thinking about joining this
90 NetCDF files (of each model or observation) into only one, just
increasing the time dimension. In this way I'll have just three NetCDF
files, does MET handle it? Is this the best way to do it?

Well it's enough for now. Thanks a lot.

Best regards,

JR Garcia

Jose Roberto Motta Garcia, PhD

Divisão de Modelagem e Desenvolvimento (DMD)
www.cptec.inpe.br
www.inpe.br
Tel.: +55 (12) 3208-7966
*****         Save natural resources         *****