[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #79414] History for revisiting the nc_pairs_flag issue

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Fri Mar 3 17:50:16 MST 2017

MET-Help,

I would like to revisit the nc_pairs_flag issue which I never resolved before.  I finally used the altered grid_stat.cc file you sent before and found out that the problem with the name was the forecast level set to "(0,*,*)".  I am not sure if it was the commas, asterisks, or both.

The TRACE messages you added stopped with:
TRACE adding forecast variable "FCST_PRATEsfc_0,*,*_G110"

I was able to get rid of the error and create the NetCDF files by removing the references to "level_name" in the forecast NetCDF fields in grid_stat.cc.  Perhaps I commented out too much, since I get "no displayable variables found!" when I try to use ncview and ncdump -h gives:

netcdf grid_stat_000000L_20130518_120000V_pairs {
dimensions:
        lat = 224 ;
        lon = 464 ;
variables:
        float lat(lat) ;
                lat:long_name = "latitude" ;
                lat:units = "degrees_north" ;
                lat:standard_name = "latitude" ;
        float lon(lon) ;
                lon:long_name = "longitude" ;
                lon:units = "degrees_east" ;
                lon:standard_name = "longitude" ;

// global attributes:
                :FileOrigins = "File /work/s4m/MET5.2/output/Lucas_test/20130518.00Z/grid_stat//PRATEsfc/6hr//grid_stat_000000L_20130518_120000V_pairs.nc generated 20170201_160050 UTC on host an008 by the MET grid_stat tool" ;
                :MET_version = "V5.1" ;
                :MET_tool = "grid_stat" ;
                :model = "fvGFS" ;
                :obtype = "ANALYS" ;
                :Difference = "Forecast Value - Observation Value" ;
                :Projection = "LatLon" ;
                :lat_ll = "25.063000 degrees_north" ;
                :lon_ll = "-124.938000 degrees_east" ;
                :delta_lat = "0.125000 degrees" ;
                :delta_lon = "0.125000 degrees" ;
                :Nlat = "224 grid_points" ;
                :Nlon = "464 grid_points" ;

Is there a better solution?  Is there another way I can specify the forecast level in the config file so that it reads the bottom level (0) and all lat and lon?

Thanks,
Shannon