[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #81001] History for Question for gen_vx_mask

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Tue Jun 27 13:26:33 MDT 2017

I am testing met-6.0/bin/gen_vx_mask using pcp_combine outputs and Indiana
state boundary.
I created Indiana state boundary polygon file (IN.poly) with lat and lon
data.
Then I ran gen_vx_mask in command line as follows:

/home/yoo108/met-6.0_bugfix/bin/gen_vx_mask -type poly
./CESM_APCP_19760101-19760102.nc
/home/yoo108/met-6.0_bugfix/data/poly/IN.poly IN_CESM_poly.nc

When I opened output file (IN_CESM_poly.nc; attached), it didn't look as
expected (as shown in the online tutorial.

Is it because I am using precipitation data as input which may include 0
values within the mask region?

To get a continuous mask area, do I need to run gen_vx_mask against other
variables such as Temperature?

Thank you.

Regards,

Jinwoong