[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #80934] History for topography mask

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Tue Jun 27 13:27:07 MDT 2017

I noticed (what appears to my team to be) an issue in VSDB, and I wanted to know if this is a potential issue in MET or MET+ as well.  For GFS pressure-level output, there are values written out even if the surface pressure is less than the pressure level; for example, if a surface pressure in the Himalayas is 500 hPa, a lapse rate is applied to write out temperature values at this location for pressures 550-1000 hPa.  VSDB, however, does not mask for topography, so any potential air temperature differences at the Himalayan surface are extrapolated down to 1000 hPa, and included in bulk statistics calculations at 1000 hPa.  Does MET include a topography mask, or, if given the same GFS output, would it still include these below-surface pressure-level points in bulk statistical calculations?  Thanks.

Sean,

Good question.  MET does have the ability to mask based on topography but it requires a 2-step process, where you generate a topography mask that you then apply during computation.  We have a development item to be automatically more sensitive to topography when computing scores. That is slated for inclusion sometime during this next year.

Tara