[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #80859] History for difficulty specifying field and level in MODE

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Tue Jun 20 11:28:39 MDT 2017

Working with version 5.2:

I want to verify MRMS rotation tracks against model output updraft helicity
(hourly max in the 2-5 km AGL layer). I know from wgrib2 (the input file
format is GRIB2) that the specific array record is 42, so I can use R42 in
the level specification of the config file. However, I work with sets of
files in which the UH array may not always have that record number, so I
would like to specify the level using some other template. wgrib2 gives the
data as so:

42:48816704:00Z09may2016:MXUPHL Hourly Maximum of Updraft Helicity over
Layer 2km to 5 km AGL [m^2/s^2]:lvl1=(103,5000) lvl2=(103,2000):5000-2000 m
above ground:35-36 hour max fcst:

So I tried Z5000-2000 and Z2000-5000 in the level setting of the control
file, but MODE said

WARNING: MetGrib2DataFile::data_plane() - No matching record found for
'MXUPHL/Z5000-2000'

for both attempts.

What else can I try?

Jeff Duda