[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #79187] History for MEAN_PLOT VALUE

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Mon Jan 30 09:42:54 MST 2017

Is there an available option  to display the "mean value"  in the plot?

thanks,

*ALVIN*

Subject: MEAN_PLOT VALUE
From: John Halley Gotway
Time: Wed Jan 18 09:54:26 2017

Alvin,

I see that you have a question about plotting in MET.  You're
wondering how
to display the "mean" value in a plot.

I'm not exactly sure what plot you are referring to, but my guess is
that
you're talking about the output of the plot_data_plane utility in MET.
If
that's correct, the answer is no, plot_data_plane doesn't compute any
summary information about the data it is plotting.

However, you may find the grid_stat tool to be useful.  It is used to
compare one field of gridded data to another field and derive summary
statistics.  The statistics are sorted into groups and written out
into
different line types.  The CNT line type contains "continuous"
statistics,
one of which is called FBAR which is the mean forecast value.

So MET certainly has the ability to compute mean values... but not
within
the plot_data_plane tool.

Hope that helps clarify.

From: Alvin Pura
Time: Wed Jan 18 15:18:57 2017

Hi john

Im referring to the met_ tc plot.For example , the line graph for
track
error. It can display the number of samples, but is there a way to
display
the mean value for track error in the graph?

On Jan 19, 2017 12:54 AM, "John Halley Gotway via RT"

From: John Halley Gotway
Time: Thu Jan 19 13:19:31 2017

Alvin,

Ah, ok.  I understand your question now.

Yes of course, you can easily edit that plot_tcmpr.R script in
whatever way
you'd like.  Most of the MET tools are compiled code, but the Rscripts
can
easily be edited by the user.

The plot_tcmpr.R script actually calls the functions defined in
met-5.2/scripts/Rscripts/include/plot_tcmpr_util.R.  Specifically, the
function named "plot_valid_counts" on line 896 of that file tacks on
the
sample size.

Please feel free to edit these scripts in whatever way you see fit.

Hope that helps clarify.