[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #79151] History for Question about using pcp-combine on RAP forecast files

Julie Prestopnik via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Thu Jan 12 15:39:11 MST 2017

Dear MET Help Desk,

I recently finished the online MET tutorial for version 5.2.

For my first attempt at using MET I would like to add together 24 1-hour
accumulations of RAP hour 3 precipitation forecasts to compare to Stage IV
24-hour total precipitation observations. To test my script I decided to
try adding the 1-hour accumulations from just 2 RAP files, but I have not
been successful.

Here is my script…

#!/bin/sh

/usr/local/met/bin/pcp_combine -add \

rap_130_20160128_1000_003.grb2 1 \

rap_130_20160128_1100_003.grb2 1 \

rap_test_add.nc \

-field ACPCP_P8_L1_GLC0_acc1h \

-v 5

I also tried “-config” instead of “-field” as I saw both options in the
manual or the tutorial, and neither worked. I also tried single quotes and
double quotes for the field string, and those options didn’t work either.

Here is the error message I get…

DEBUG 2: Performing addition command for 2 files.

DEBUG 1: Reading input file: rap_130_20160128_1000_003.grb2

ERROR  :

ERROR  : yyerror() -> syntax error in file "config_31002_0_.temp"

ERROR  :

ERROR  :    line   = 2

ERROR  :

ERROR  :    column = 1

ERROR  :

ERROR  :    text   = "(nul)"

ERROR  :

ERROR  :

ERROR  : (nul)

ERROR  : (nul)

ERROR  :

The output config file just has the name of the field I specified.

I thought this was a simple test, but I must be missing something
important. What do you suggest?

Thank you in advance.

Lisa Darby

--
*Lisa S. Darby, Meteorologist*
NOAA/Earth System Research Laboratory/Physical Sciences Division

303-497-5219

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/hydromet-observations/