[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #79620] History for Fwd: MRMS data in MET

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Thu Feb 23 12:51:01 MST 2017

Resending with just one of the attachments, as I apparently exceeded the limit — let me know if you’d like me to send the other one!

e-mail: russ.schumacher at colostate.edu
phone: 970.491.8084
web: http://www.atmos.colostate.edu/faculty/schumacher.php

Subject: Fwd: MRMS data in MET
From: John Halley Gotway
Time: Thu Feb 23 10:21:47 2017

Hello Russ,

I see you're having trouble using MRMS data in MET.  Thanks for
sending a
sample data file.

Good news, I was able to read it using MET version 5.2.  I ran the
plot_data_plane utility to plot the values, and I've attached a PNG
version
of the resulting image:

   met-5.2/bin/plot_data_plane qpe_24h_20170222_120000.grib2
qpe_24h_20170222_120000.ps 'name="GaugeCorrQPE24H"; level="L0";'

Perhaps you're using an older version of MET and that's the source of
the
problem.  MET version 5.2 did include changes to support a much wider
array
of GRIB1 and GRIB2 tables.  Here's the release notes:

http://www.dtcenter.org/met/users/support/release_notes/METv5.2_release_notes.php

If you already are using met-5.2 and continue to have problems.
Please let
me know.

met_help at ucar.edu

On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 9:33 AM, Russ Schumacher via RT

> [...]
> >
> > I’ve attached here a couple of the sample GRIB files that we’d be
> interested in using, one is QPE, and the other is composite
reflectivity.
> If you have any suggestions we’d be very interested in hearing them
— we’re
> comfortable with altering the file metadata if need be (as long as
it’s not
> too involved!)
> >
> > Furthermore, if you can provide some general information about how
> netCDF files need to be formatted for reading into MET, that’d be
helpful
> too.  I generally just see “Trouble reading <filename>” which
doesn’t give
> much to work with, but of course some netCDF files work just fine,
like
> those produced by pcp_combine.
> >
> > (FWIW, we’re using METv5.2 on a Linux machine.)

Thanks, John!  Yes, that command did work — it was the syntax
specifying the vertical level that I guess I wasn’t doing right.  It
looks like this method will get us going, but if we run into
additional issues I may be back in touch.  Much appreciated!

Russ

e-mail: russ.schumacher at colostate.edu
phone: 970.491.8084
web: http://www.atmos.colostate.edu/faculty/schumacher.php