[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #79433] History for MET verification for WRF output

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Tue Feb 21 14:51:38 MST 2017

Hello, met_help,

I have question about the data format that MET accepted. I have WRF outputs
in netcdf format and RTMA observations in GRIB2 format. I hope to do the
verification and statistic analysis using MET, ensemble-stat tool. For my
understanding, I need to convert the two data sources into common grid
before I put them into MET statistic tools.

My questions is, can MET read WRF outputs into the statistic tool directly?
if so, I only need to re-gridding GRIB data? Do I need to convert GRIB data
into netcdf format before running statistic tool? I know copygb utility can
be used to re-gridding GRIB data. And PCP-combine tool can be used to
generate netcdf files.

Not sure which way to pre-process the data is better so I write this email
asking for some suggestions.

Thank you very much!

--
Ying Song, PhD, Post Doctoral Fellow
Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences

ysong4 at slu.edu