[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #79384] History for Point Stat help

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Wed Feb 15 14:07:42 MST 2017

Hello MET help,

	I’m going to go ahead and apologize for all the information in this email, but hopefully it will help you better diagnose what the best way for me to move forward is. As part of my research I generated 12 different WRF runs over the same week using the same I.C.s and B.C.s, and am currently in the process of comparing them against real world observations to see which config worked the best. I am primary concerned with comparing precip, surface temp/dewpoint, and surface winds.

	The first tool I have tried to use has been the point stat tool. I am using your met-5.2_bugfix package and did not find any errors while/after compiling and made sure the test files, like test_point_stat.sh, all work. The data I am using is as follows:

		Instead of downloading prepbufer files and converting them with the PB2NC tool, I just used the UCAR site to do it for me  ( http://rda.ucar.edu/datasets/ds337.0/index.html#forms/337_subset.php?_da=y <http://rda.ucar.edu/datasets/ds337.0/index.html#forms/337_subset.php?_da=y>)
Request Detail:
Date Limits               : 2016-08-12 00:00 2016-08-20 06:00
NCEP Verification Regions : SEC
Parameters                : SPFH TMP HGT UGRD VGRD DPT WIND RH MIXR PRMSL
PREPBUFR Message Types    : ADPUPA SFCSHP AIRCAR SPSSMI AIRCFT QKSWND SATWND RASSDA PROFLR WDSATR VADWND ASCATW ADPSFC
Quality Mark Threshold    : 9
File Compression          : gz
Data Output Format        : NETCDF

	To convert my WRF data into a readable format I used P_Interp. I am now realizing this might not be the best way forward, but seemed the easiest to set up as I had to offload all my model output to a different cluster that I did not configure WRF on. I have been a bit confused as P_Interp says it can unstager data to pressure levels, but on your website it says that P_Interp cannot onstager data (at least for use with MODE and other tools). Either way do you think I should try use a different pre-processing software to unpack my WRF data or will P_Interp be sufficient to compare precip, surface temp/dewpoint and winds?

	When I run my file PointStat.sh using the attached PointStatConfig1 file, I get the following data error message:

*** Running Point-Stat on prepbuffer files ***
DEBUG 1: Default Config File: /marge/r0/mdawson/met/met-5.2_bugfix/share/met/config/PointStatConfig_default
DEBUG 1: User Config File: config/PointStatConfig
GSL_RNG_TYPE=mt19937
GSL_RNG_SEED=1
DEBUG 1: Forecast File: ../../../P_INTERP/preproc/ndown/linout/lin/day1/wrfout_d01_2016-08-12_12:00:00_PLEV
DEBUG 1: Observation File: ../data/prepbuffer/12/prepbufr.gdas.225564.2016081200.nc
DEBUG 2:
DEBUG 2: --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DEBUG 2:
DEBUG 2: Reading data for T2(*,*,0).
WARNING:
WARNING: PinterpFile::data(NcVar *, const LongArray &, DataPlane &, double &) const ->  star found in bad slot
WARNING:
ERROR  :
ERROR  : PinterpFile::valid_time(int) const -> range check error
ERROR  :

Looking at the ncdump P_Interp File, T2 (2 meter temperature shows):
float T2(Time, south_north, west_east) ;
		T2:FieldType = 104 ;
		T2:MemoryOrder = "XY " ;
		T2:description = "TEMP at 2 M" ;
		T2:units = "K" ;
		T2:stagger = "" ;
		T2:coordinates = "XLONG XLAT XTIME" ;
		T2:missing_value = 1.e+36f ;

I am not sure if the issue is that P_Interp is not properly extracting this information, or If I just need to change my PointStatConfig1 file.

Thanks!

Matthew G. Dawson, Capt, USAF
AFIT Student, Civilian Institution Program
Email: Dawsonmattg at gmail.com <mailto:Dawsonmattg at gmail.com>
Cell: (904)-333-5427

Email: mgd08 at my.fsu.edu
Cell: (904)-333-5427