[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #81164] History for questions about MODE output (UNCLASSIFIED)

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Wed Aug 9 10:13:23 MDT 2017

CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED

I have a question about the calculation of contingency table scores such as
CSI which are output in the cts.txt text file. For reference I've attached
that file plus the postscript file and the other two output files from a run
I did using forecast and observed radar reflectivity.

In the postscript file plots showing the forecast objects with observation
outlines, I see the red forecast object which was matched with the blue
outlined observation object. I see in this plot areas where there are "hits"
(FY_OY) where you can see red area overlaying the blue outlined area. I see
"misses" (FN_OY) where the blue outlined area does not overlap a red area.
Both the hits and misses have non-zero counts in their respective columns in
the cts.txt text file. I also see in the plot areas where the red areas do
not overlay a blue outlined area which corresponds to "false alarms"
(FY_ON), but the cts.txt file shows that there are no false alarm events
with a 0 entry. The MET tutorial describes the output in the cts.txt file
at:
http://www.dtcenter.org/met/users/support/online_tutorial/METv5.2/tutorial.p
hp?name=mode&category=output

The tutorial explains that the objects show 1 for the red areas and 0 for
non-red and 1 for blue outlined areas and 0 for non-blue outlined areas. If
a simple contingency table of outcomes is generated form this, why are there
no false alarm events?

Another question regarding the first page of the postscript output file. In
the table on the right side of the page, total interest values for pairs
of simple objects are listed in sorted order. My understanding from the
User's Guide was that those pairs of simple objects whose interest value
fell below the interest threshold were not "matched", but if I look in the
plot, I can see simple objects with red numbers (part of the merged forecast
and observed objects) which also show in the table on the right with
interest values less than the threshold which are "matched". An example of
this is object 6 (fcst) and object 5 (obs). I thought I read that same color
objects in both fields have been "matched". What is the relationship between
the interst threshold and matching. Also note that numbered simple objects
which are colored royal blue which should indicate "unmatched" also appear
in the table of "pairs". I guess I don't quite understand the presence of
"pairs" in the table versus the simple numbered objects appearing in the
plots.

Thanks.

R/
John