[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #81276] History for Climodata to be used in Point Stat

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Wed Aug 9 10:14:10 MDT 2017

Hi John, I am verifying precipitation probabilities using Point Stat against
observations and want to use climo to get the Brier Skill Scores.  The climo
file I am using is the observational frequency of the event that I write out
to a NETCDF file using ascii2nc so I have a file of observations where they
all have the same observational frequency of the event.  The first question
since the user manual is vague on this:

1)  Does the climo file have to match the observation file as are as
dimensions and grib codes (that is how I am currently doing) or does the
climo file need to be a 2D array of the observation frequency at each grid
point matching the fcst grid?

If the answer above is it as to match the observation file, then what field
parameters do I use?  The manual says to match of obs field parameters
(which is what I am doing) but I always get the message "found 0 climatology
fields".

2) If climo has to match the fcst grid, then I assume I would have to write
out a general NETcdf file of a grid with the one obs freq value at every
grid point.  The variable name in the NETcdf file would have to match the
fcst grid ("APCP" in this case).  Then the field dictionary for climo would
match the fcst field dictionary.  Is this correct?

Attached is the config file.  The command line I am running is:

/h/WXQC/met-6.0/bin/point_stat
/h/data/global/WXQC/data/geps_verify/qcsave/2017070900/grib2.2017070900.0012
.NOAA /h/data/global/WXQC/data/met/nc_obs/precip/nc_2017070912
/h/WXQC/met-6.0/data/config/PointStatConfig_geps_precip_updated -outdir
/h/data/global/WXQC/data/met/ptstat/mdlob_pairs -v 4

I placed the grid, obs, and climo file on the server.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Bob Craig