[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #79901] History for question about file-format and wind speed calculation in MET

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Thu Apr 6 08:56:41 MDT 2017

I just start to use MET. Here I have some questions when using Grid-stat
tool to do the verification for wind speed.

My observation is RTMA data, regridded into GRIB2 format using wgrib2. The
forecast data are from WRF model forecast, I converted them into GRIB1
format using UPP. And observation and forecast data share common grid now.

For my understanding, MET can read GRIB1&2 easily so I don't have to
convert wrfout from GRIB1 to GRIB2. Is it right?

RTMA has wind speed data. However, wrfout has U10, V10 separately. I think
I need to calculate sqrt(u^2+v^2) to prepare data for Grid-stat. Does MET
has tool to do so?
Currently the method I know is using NCL to read the original wrfout*.nc
and calculate wind speed , write out into a new .nc file. Then convert the
new .nc file to GRIB1 format using UPP. I wounder if MET has a more
efficient tool? Do you have any suggestions?

Also, I checked the parameter table and believe the wind speed in RTMA
should be named as "WIND" in the config_file, obs dictionary. should I use
the same name for WRF data in fcst dictionary?

Thank you very much!

--
Ying Song, PhD, Post Doctoral Fellow
Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences

ysong4 at slu.edu