[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #80021] History for threshold for MODE tool

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Mon Apr 3 14:57:32 MDT 2017

Hello, I have a question about setting the threshold in MODE config file.
The verification is for wind speed at 10m, I only want to compare the
strong wind(>=12m/s) features between obs and fcst, I feel confuse about
the raw_thresh and conv_thresh. I understand the conv_radius and
conv_threshold are the two parameters controlling MODE. But should I set
raw_thresh to >=12.0 as well? I tried to set raw_threshold to different
value and ran MODE tool, such as >=5.0, >=8.0, the results have slight
differences.
 raw_thresh        = >=0.0;
   conv_thresh       = >=12.0;

Thanks for your help!

--
Ying Song, PhD, Post Doctoral Fellow
Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences

ysong4 at slu.edu