[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #78113] History for a question about the correctness of self-check in point_stat.cc of MET

Julie Prestopnik via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Wed Sep 28 13:39:34 MDT 2016

Dear Mr. or Mrs,
I'm running  Met 5.1 on theia , which has been installed by Jacob Charley
and had been run well.
However, in my case, I had a problem running point_stat, that the program
will evaluate that some dimension size doesn't match and will stop by
itself. The problem is the error message doesn't make sense to me.
First what I see is as
^^
The error message given by the program is :
^^
DEBUG 2: Searching 56310 observations from 13315 messages.
NetCDF: Index exceeds dimension bound

VV
However, also from its output, there was:
^^
DEBUG 2: Total PrepBufr Messages retained       = 13315
DEBUG 2: Total observations retained or derived = 56310
VV

VV

By some digging, i found the error message  (DEBUG 2)  is in point_stat.cc:
^^
 mlog << Debug(2)
        << "Searching " << obs_dim->size()
           << " observations from " << hdr_dim->size()
           << " messages.\n";

VV
So, if the error message is correct, seems the size of an array is defined
as the message number (13315) other than the observation number(56310).

If my understanding is true, will it should be to change the size to be
defined as the observation number?
Or the message is misleading, the "invoking" condition is other which was
invoked in the lines above .
Normally, for those issues, I'd prefer to do more digging by code changes
and  test run, however, to install Met on our machines on my account needs
quite some efforts. Hence, I open this ticket with MET help system and I
will really appreciate your attention on this.
Your clarification/help is appreciated.

Best Regards,
Ting