[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #77716] History for MODE input file

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Fri Sep 2 12:17:08 MDT 2016

Dear,

The MODE Tool require a grid file of observations. Do you have another tool
to prepare observation field to grid file or I need to prepare before use
MET?

Thank You.

--
Bianca Buss Maske
Bacharel em Meteorologia - UFPEL

Subject: MODE input file
From: John Halley Gotway
Time: Mon Aug 29 10:26:08 2016

Hello Bianca,

I see that you have a question about preparing data for use in MODE.
You
are correct that the MODE tool is designed to compare one gridded
field of
data to another gridded field of data.  However reliable gridded
analysis
data is pretty rare in most areas of the earth.  In the United States,
we
have a gridded analysis field of precipitation, called StageIV, and
we've
run MODE on that many times.  There are some global satellite
precipitation
estimates (such as TRMM) that we've passed through MODE as well.

I presume you're running some sort of NWP model that you're trying to
verify.  Let's suppose you're initializing that model every day at
00Z.
You could compare your forecast data to the analysis (i.e. 0-hour
forecast)
from the future runs.  For example, compare your 24-hour forecast from
today with the 0-hour forecast from tomorrow.  However, that really
isn't
"verification" when you compare a model to its own analysis.  It would
probably be better to instead compare it to the analysis from a
different
model... perhaps the GFS or the ECMWF.

One very nice feature added to MET in version 5.1 automated
regridding.
Suppose you're running MODE to compare your model output to GFS... you
do
not need to put them on a common grid first.  Instead, just set up the
"regrid" section of the MODE configuration file and let MODE to the
regridding for you.

Hope that helps get you going.  Please let us know what other issues
or
questions you have.

met_help at ucar.edu

On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 7:11 AM, Bianca Maske via RT

From: Bianca Maske
Time: Mon Aug 29 10:37:11 2016

Thank you for your explanation John!

My question is have a tool that transform point observations to
gridded
data?
Can I use MODE to compare model and observations?

Thanks,
Bianca

From: John Halley Gotway
Time: Fri Sep 02 12:16:53 2016

Bianca,

I see that you have point observations and would like to put them on a
grid
and use the resulting data as input to the MODE tool.  Unfortunately
no,
there are no tools in MET that would help you place point observations
on a
grid.  This question has come up in the past, and there is no good,
general
purpose solution would could provide.  The logic for putting point
data
onto a grid would be very specific to the data you're processing.

Sorry we can't be of more help.

On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 10:37 AM, Bianca Maske via RT