[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #78552] History for Recommend use of URMA gridded obs for verification (UNCLASSIFIED)

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Tue Nov 8 09:44:35 MST 2016

CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED

On the DTC website where you describe gridded analysis products, reference is
made to use of RTMA for gridded observations and the link is provided to
access the RTMA products. Ref the email below from Steven Levine, which says
that the NWS uses the Unrestricted Mesoscale Analysis (URMA) for verification
because it is based on a more complete set of point observations. The RTMA is
more of a "quick look" product for users who can't wait the additional 6 hours
to get the product.

For additional reference, see the following link for NWS implementation of
URMA: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/notification/tin13-39rtma_q4aaa.htm
At this page, see the section on "Implementation of URMA".

The link you provide on the DTC site to the RTMA products is the same one
which provides access to the URMA products.

You might want to consider adding a description of the URMA product on the DTC
site where you describe gridded analysis products and provide the link to the
RTMA product mentioning that the NWS uses URMA and not RTMA for verification.

FYI, I understand from Steven, that they are working with NCDC on an archive
site for  URMA products which would provide access to older URMA products in
addition to the real time products.

R/