[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #75431] History for Fractional Skill Score for Probability Data

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Thu Mar 10 09:22:12 MST 2016

John, after our conversation, I decided to check the .nc files that are produced by grid stat for neighborhood methods.  When I look in the file for precip > .01" (grid_stats_1_APCP etc.), looking in the section for obs values, the actual precip values are listed, instead of a 1 or a 0 representing that the precip value exceeded the threshold (1) or did not (0).  When I look in the next section, the differences between the probability and precipitation, it looks like the differences are strictly the fcst probability in percent subtracted from the precip value in hundredths of an inch.    I would expect to see the probability subtracted from the event occurrence (.i.e. .6 subtracted from 1 (occurrence) or 0 (nonoccurrence).  I was assuming that MET was taking the observation values and assigning either a 1 for occurrence or 0 for non-occurrence.    If my assumption is wrong, then I will have to change the precip obs file to be either a 1 or a 0 if precipitation reached the th!
 reshold or not before I feed it into MET - not hard to do, just want confirmation that it is required.

I sent an grid_stat stat and .nc file along with a asci version of the nc file for your review.

Thanks
Bob Craig