[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #77191] History for MODE Question

Julie Prestopnik via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Thu Jul 28 12:43:58 MDT 2016

What are the units for the MODE configuration variable 'conv_thresh'?  I've looked throughout the user's guide and the configuration file and I am unable to find the units.  All I've found is that conv_thresh "specifies the threshold values to be applied to the convolved
field."

Thanks, Josh

Hello Josh.  I just spoke with our MODE expert here, and he told me
that the units of 'conv_thresh' are whatever the units of the data
field are.  I hope this helps.

--
Julie Prestopnik
Phone: 303.497.8399
Email: jpresto at ucar.edu

Subject: MODE Question
From: John Halley Gotway
Time: Tue Jul 19 10:34:29 2016

Hello Josh,

I see you have a question about configuring the MODE tool.  There are
no
specific units prescribed for the convolution threshold (conv_thresh)
in
the MODE configuration file.  When you run MODE, you pass to it two
gridded
fields of data.  MODE is not checking anything with regards to the
units of
data you pass to it.  From MODE's perspective, it's just a bunch of
numbers.

After applying the convolution step to smooth the data (controlled by
the
conv_radius config file option), it applies the convolution threshold
determine what you'd like to consider an object.

Or to put this more simply... define conv_thresh in the same units as
the
raw data you pass to MODE.

Also note, that the forecast (fcst) and analysis (obs) convolution
thresholds may be defined separately in the config file.  For example,
suppose you run MODE to compare surface temperature between two
models.  If
the forecast units are celcius and the observation units are kelvin,
you
could define the forecast "conv_thresh = >0" and observed "conv_thresh
=
>273".

Hope that helps clarify.

met_help at ucar.edu

From: Markel, Joshua
Time: Tue Jul 19 10:53:42 2016

Hi Julie,

That helps a lot as it answered my question.  Thanks for you help and
quick response.

Josh

________________________________

--
Julie Prestopnik
Phone: 303.497.8399
Email: jpresto at ucar.edu

From: Julie Prestopnik
Time: Tue Jul 19 12:06:55 2016

Great!  I'm glad we were able to help.  Please let us know if you have
any other questions or problems.

Julie

--
Julie Prestopnik