[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #74306] History for Fuzzy verification methods

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Tue Jan 26 12:12:41 MST 2016

dear met-help.
I want to know what other Fuzzy verification, other than FSS is available in MET???

Geeta

Subject: Fuzzy verification methods
From: John Halley Gotway
Time: Tue Dec 08 11:10:35 2015

Geeta,

I googled "fuzzy verification methods" and found the following list:

http://www.univie.ac.at/IMG-Wien/meetings/map_d-phase/abstracts/44-
fuzzy-ebert.pdf

Of these, MET includes support for...

(1) Upscaling in the Point-Stat and Grid-Stat tools.  You can specify
several interpolation methods in the config file "interp" section to
smooth
the forecast data using larger and larger interpolation widths.  This
is
one way of upscaling, and you can see how the scores change the more
you
smooth the data.
(2) Fractions skill score in the Grid-Stat tool.
(3) The Wavelet-Stat tool implements the intensity-scale method by
Casati
et al.
(4) MODE, not included in this list, is an object-based verification
method.

We are not able to provide in MET all available verification methods.
We
don't have the time or funding to make that feasible.  However, in the
new
work we do, we strive to make all enhancements to the MET tools
available
to the broader community.

There is active research going on in fuzzy verification methods.
Here's a
link to the MesoVict project:
   http://www.ral.ucar.edu/projects/icp/

Its goal is to measure the advantages and disadvantages to the wide
range
of fuzzy verification methods in use.  And the vast majority, if not
all,
of those methods are available within the "SpatialVx" package for R.

From: Geeta Geeta
Time: Tue Dec 08 23:09:03 2015

Thanks John.
 this is the section of interp in the config file.

/// "interp" section
interp = {   field      = BOTH;   vld_thresh = 1.0;
   type = [      {         method = UW_MEAN;         width  = 1;
}   ];};
so where I have to make changes for the threshold and
scale/Upscaling???. How I should make changes in the config file.
Geeta

From: John Halley Gotway
Time: Wed Dec 09 10:43:09 2015

Geeta,

To apply upscaling, I'd suggest using the following settings:

//
// Data smoothing methods
//
interp = {
   field         = FCST; // Only smooth the forecast field.  Keep the
observations unchanged.
   vld_thresh = 1.0;

   type = [
      { method = UW_MEAN; width = 1; },
      { method = UW_MEAN; width = 3; },
      { method = UW_MEAN; width = 5; },
      { method = UW_MEAN; width = 6; },
      { method = UW_MEAN; width = 9; },
      { method = UW_MEAN; width = 11; },
      { method = UW_MEAN; width = 13; }
   ];
}

This will smooth the forecast field using larger and larger smoothing
areas.  Then, you could look at the resulting statistics and see how
they
change as you apply more smoothing.

On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 11:09 PM, Geeta Geeta via RT

From: Geeta Geeta
Time: Mon Dec 14 08:56:02 2015

Hi john.
I tried this and there was a change in ctc file.
Will the r scirpt for fss work for seeing change in ets as a function
of neighbour ood size
Geeta

Sent from my Windows Phone
________________________________

From: John Halley Gotway
Time: Mon Dec 14 09:33:00 2015

Geeta,

My guess is no, I don't think the Rscript for plotting FSS would work,
as
is, to plot statistics as a function of the interpolation width.  That
Rscript reads data from the "NBRCNT" line type, which contains the FSS
values.

However, one could adapt it to read other MET line types and plot
other
statistics.

John

On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 8:56 AM, Geeta Geeta via RT

> Hi john.
> I tried this and there was a change in ctc file.
> Will the r scirpt for fss work for seeing change in ets as a
function of
> neighbour ood size
> Geeta
>
> Sent from my Windows Phone
> ________________________________

hi john. i am not familiar with R. can u help me with this script???
geeta

From: John Halley Gotway
Time: Wed Dec 16 09:57:53 2015

Geeta,

I'm sorry, but no, I'm not able to.  We have very limited funding for
providing support for the MET software and this is beyond the scope of
the
MET software.

John

On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 9:25 AM, Geeta Geeta via RT

<met_help at ucar.edu